In addition to sites throughout Rockport, Hibbard explored nearby towns in search of paintable material, such as this view of Essex marshes looking toward Hog Island. Formally renamed Choate Island in 1887, the outpost was initially called Hog Island allegedly due to its distinctive shape in the form of a hog’s back or in reference to the animals found on the farms it held, or perhaps a combination of the two, and many continue to affectionately refer to it using its porcine name.
More information about this painting...
Hibbard’s painting reveals his knack for developing strong compositions in his canvases, here using a series of curving lines and blocks of color to bring the viewer in and through the landscape to the rounded form of the island in the distance.
Collection, Boston, Massachusetts
With Vose Galleries, Boston, inventory no. 28548, April 1987
To collection of the artist’s family, April 1988 to present
(handwritten on backing in pen) Essex, Massachusetts / (looking Toward Hogg (sic) Island) / Painted on the spot in 1930