By the mid-1880s, the period around which Lifting Fog was painted, Bricher was fully engaged with Luminism and the practice of contemplating the atmospheric elements of the scene before him, yet stayed true to his realist approach to painting, thus carving out a unique place in the American art world. Lifting Fog perfectly embodies Bricher’s dual approach. His interpretation of the moment the morning fog begins its departure from the coast shows his fascination with the transitory aspects of a location, while his attention to detail is revealed in the meticulously rendered rocks and boats in the fore- and mid-ground, and in the sun’s reflections on the water. The scene is not specifically located but the grandeur of the central precipice suggests it might have been inspired by one of the artist’s many trips to Canada’s Grand Manan, the island he first visited in the mid-1870s and which continued to fascinate him for the rest of his career.
More information about this painting...
Lifting Fog was included in a major exhibition of Bricher’s work organized by the Indianapolis Museum of Art in 1973, and was illustrated in the catalogue with the following note from the author: “At its peak in this example, Bricher's sensibility to his environment responds to the changing seasons and times of day as well as the density and reflections of the atmosphere.”
 Brown, Jeffrey R., Alfred Thompson Bricher 1837-1908, Indianapolis Museum of Art exhibition catalogue, 1973, p. 75
Private collection, Lakeview, New York
With Vose Galleries, Boston, inventory no. 23133, December 1969
To collection of Robert C. Vose, Jr., Boston, Massachusetts, February 1970
To collection of his son, Abbot W. Vose, Boston, Massachusetts, by 1973 (by gift or private sale)
With Vose Galleries, Boston, inventory no. 25964, August 1979
To private collection, Keene, New Hampshire, and later Switzerland, August 1979 to present (the painting was placed on extended loan at the Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts, from 1979-2021)
- Smith College Museum of Art, Northampton, Massachusetts / 6:79 EL / TR 4203 / Painting / American / Bricher, Alfred Thompson 1837-1908 / Lifting Fog. after 1885 / Oil on canvas / 18 1/8 x 39” (46 x 99 cm) / Signed at l.l.: ABricher / Extended loan
- (sticker on frame) Smith College Museum of Art
- (sticker on frame, handwritten) T.R. / 0112
- Brown, Jeffrey R., Alfred Thompson Bricher 1837-1908, Indianapolis Museum of Art exhibition catalogue, 1973, No. 62, illus. p. 75
- “Alfred Thompson Bricher,” by Jeffrey R. Brown. American Art Review, (Jan-Feb 1974), pp. 69-75, illus. p. 69
Alfred Thompson Bricher 1837-1908, Indianapolis Museum of Art, September 12 – October 28, 1973, and George Walter Vincent Smith Art Museum, November 25, 1973 – January 13, 1974 (painting was lent by Abbot W. Vose, Boston, Massachusetts)