At the Base of the Cliff was the cover piece of a major Paul Dougherty retrospective exhibition that traveled to five New England museums during 1978. Fifty-two paintings, watercolors and monotypes were included in the show, many of which were loaned from Dougherty’s daughter, Lisa Dougherty Coon, including this piece.
More information about this painting...
To his daughter, Lisa Dougherty Coon
By descent to the artist’s grandson
To private collection, Warrenton, Virginia
- (upper stretcher) Vose
- Additional numeric labels/inscriptions
- Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- M. Vose, Boston
- Show / #14
- (torn) 4 / At the Base / of the Cliff
- May 2, 1990
Portland Museum of Art, Paul Dougherty A Retrospective Exhibition, exhibition catalog, 1978. Illustrated on cover.
Paul Dougherty A Retrospective Exhibition, displayed at:
- Portland Museum of Art, March 16 – April 9, 1978
- Fitchburg Art Museum, May 7 – May 31, 1978
- Lyman Allyn Museum, October 8 – November 12, 1978
- The New Britain Museum, November 17 – December 30, 1978
- The Mead Art Museum, January 22 – February 20, 1979