Edward Herbert Barnard (1855-1909)

Edward Herbert Barnard (1855-1909)

Edward H. Barnard studied architecture at the MIT and in 1876 continued on to study painting with John B. Johnston, a landscape artist who was influenced by William Morris Hunt. One year later, he entered the Museum School where he was taught by the master Otto Grundmann. In 1882 he became a draftsman for a stained glass manufacturer, but ultimately traveled abroad for further fine art education. He and life-long friend Charles H. Hayden went to Paris in 1886, staying for a total of four years. They enrolled at the Académie Julian and during the summer months sketched the French countryside with Charles H. Davis, a friend from Museum School days.  

Contact Vose about this artist
Read more about this artist...

When they returned to Boston in 1890 the two artists took studios at the Harcourt Building and Barnard began teaching art at Bradford College in Haverhill, Massachusetts. In 1899 Barnard moved his studio to Belmont.

Although he painted a number of portraits, Barnard is best known for his impressionist-influenced landscapes of Cape Cod and southeastern Massachusetts.  He was a member of the Boston Art Club and exhibited paintings there from 1879 until 1909.  He was also a member of the Boston Water Color Club and the St. Botolph Club, which hosted a memorial exhibition of his work in 1910.

References:  Morrell, Dora M. “Companion Artists.” Brush and Pencil, 4 (May 1899) : 69-76; Janice H. Chadbourne, Karl Gabosh and Charles O. Vogel, The Boston Art Club: Exhibition Record 1873-1909 (Madison, CT, Sound View Press, 1991).; Trevor J . Fairbrother, The Bostonians: Painters Of An Elegant Age, 1870-1980 (Boston: Museum of Fine Arts, 1986).; David Snellen, Americans In Brittany and Normandy 1860-1910 (Phoenix Art Museum, 1982).;  Who Was Who In American Art (1999). See also files at the Belmont Public Library.  

Available Work