Annie Lovering Perot (1854-)

Annie Lovering Perot (1854-)

A Philadelphia native, Annie Perot dedicated her career to promoting the arts of the city.  She studied at the Pennsylvania Academy under such instructors as Hugh Breckenridge, William Merritt Chase, and Thomas Anshutz, and went on to exhibit at numerous local venues as well as the Art Institute of Chicago (1912).  A true daughter of Philadelphia, Perot exhibited her landscapes in oil and watercolor at her alma mater (1913-1926), as well as the Society of Independent Artists (1917-1918) and the city’s Plastic Club (1913-1916). 

Contact Vose about this artist
Read more about this artist...

Perot became a member of the Philadelphia Art Alliance amidst this active time in her career, which, based on her exhibition records, occurred while the artist was in her late sixties and early seventies.   Founded in 1915, the Philadelphia Art Alliance was the new Philadelphia organization for artists to meet, share ideas, and exhibit.  Another cutting-edge association to which Perot belonged was the city’s Plastic Club.  Founded by female students of Howard Pyle known as the “Red Rose Girls,”­ namely Violet Oakley, Jessie Willcox Smith, and Elizabeth Shippen Green, the organization was originally limited to women and tended to be civic-minded.  The artists designed Liberty Bond posters and organized a fund for the families of artists at the war front.  Perot’s memberships create an image of a progressive woman, dedicated to supporting the arts, and committed to her home town. 

References:  Falk, Who Was Who in American Art; Petteys, Dictionary of Women Artists, PAFA, AIC and Society of Independent Artists Exhibition Records; The Plastic Club of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Art Alliance. 

Available Work